All the furniture that you keep in your house has a specific function. A coffee table is also an important piece of furniture. A coffee table goes well with your sofa set. When you are going to the market you will find a wide range of coffee tables. For choosing the best one out one has to maintain certain things that are essential. They are as follows:
Space Where the Table Will Be Placed
The space you intend to place them should be enough. You need to keep adequate space between your sofa set and the coffee table so that you are able to stretch your legs. But it should not be too far away. When you sit on them you should be easily able to reach the table. You also need to maintain a sitting arrangement between other sitting arrangements.
Size of the Table
The size of the coffee table should be based on two factors. The first one is the size of the room and the second one is the sitting arrangement of the area. The height of the table should not be more than 1 to 2 inches than that of the sofa. The size should be good enough to enable you and your guests reach them easily to keep or keep their plates and glasses.
Shape and Style of the Table
The shape is important and so is the style. For an L-shaped sofa, a rectangular coffee table is a good choice. And for a compact sofa set, the compact table will be perfect. It is safe to keep rounded tables when you are having infants and toddlers in your home.
When the style is concerned you can choose them from formal, informal, vintage and modern styles. The table should match your decors. For a contemporary look you can choose a metal table with a glass top and for a classy look, you can go for the wooden tables.
Material Used To Make Them
Like we mentioned two types in the earlier point there are different materials that can be used to make the tables. They can be made of wood, of metals or of plastic. You can choose anyone that you feel would go with your interiors.
These are the qualities of the coffee table that you should keep in mind before buying them. While you buy, be sure about the purpose of buying them so that you get the maximum value out of it.
Many often feel that the maintenance is a tough job. But there are many ways to make this thing easy and fast. All you have to do is just spare some time to find the one which matches your requirements. Coming to the point, I am using this space to share a few important tips to maintain the teak furniture.
Out of all woods used for furniture making, Teak has some outstanding features. It is most commonly used for Outdoor furniture because of its durability. Though it is costly, it deserves the investment. Purchasing it and leaving it aside will be a costly mistake. Though teak wood has resistance to mold and rot, it can get affected by mildew. So follow these simple steps to retain the charm of the teak furniture.
Clean the teak furniture- Mildew leads to discoloration, so the teak furniture should be regularly cleaned. The cleaning solution can be prepared from the home materials or you can directly buy a Teak cleaner solution. For tough stains, use the store-bought solution as it is made for that purpose. Allocate some space to clean the furniture to avoid splashes on the walls.
Prepare a home-based cleaning solution by adding a cup of chlorine bleach and laundry detergent to a gallon of warm water. Chlorine is a good cleansing agent and can remove stains. Mixing vinegar with warm water can make a good cleaning solution.
After preparing the solution, apply it to the furniture using a soft brush and transfer it to the layers of the wood by scrubbing. Allow the cleaning mixture for 15 minutes to settle, then rinse with water. This method proves good for indoor teak furniture and frequently cleaned furniture. It may not remove tough stains. For the teak furniture that has been left outside for a long time, apply a concentrated solution.
Avoid using hard brushes as it can damage the texture.
Oil the teak furniture- the compelling factor is its nature. Generally speaking Oiling the teak furniture has nothing to do with its durability. It is intended to enhance the elegance of the furniture. It can totally transform the appeal. For the outdoor teak furniture, oil should be applied for every three months. For indoor ones, there is no need to paint them frequently as they are less exposed to sunlight and weather.
Before oiling clean the furniture as there may be oil residues which can disturb the oiling process. Apply the oil in even strokes by using a paint brush. To wipe up excess oil, use a cloth dampened with material spirits. Otherwise, it can create stains. Tung oil and Linseed oil are widely used for oiling teak furniture. Many manufacturers are mixing additives in the oil, which can block UV radiation and mildew. The oil should be applied for every three months until the oil gets surfaced on the furniture. The wood should have a matte finish at this point. Start from the bottom of the furniture piece to avoid leaving streak marks.
Above all the furniture piece should be cleaned and dried before applying the oil.
Wooden floors are elegant and classy in any place. Whether they are present in a commercial building or at home, they give the place a stunning appearance. To keep these wooden panels looking good, one would need to maintain and polish the floors regularly.
- Remove all the furniture. Try to avoid scraping the furniture against the panels to prevent further damage. Stick fabric under the feet to protect the wood in the future.
- Vacuum the floors to rid the wood of any loose debris and dust. You will find it easier to apply the polish if all residues have been removed.
- It is good to know the type of material the floor is made of so that you know what products can be used. If your floor has perished polish or lacquer, you will need to strip it down to apply the new and stronger coat of the desired polish or wax to give the material a protective coating.
- Avoid mopping a floor that has been waxed. Rather sweep and vacuum to clean it.
- You will need to use the correct polish on the floor. If it has a polyurethane finish you would need to use a water based product for the best results.
- It is crucial to read the instructions on the packaging. Products vary and some may have specific chemicals that need to be applied a certain way. In some cases, you will have to wash and sand down the floor before you apply the polish.
- If you are trying a new product, test the chemical on a small section of the floors. Some products could discolour the wood and it is always important to test what the material can handle. Discolouration could occur immediately and further usage of this polish should be stopped.
- The package usually tells you how to apply the polish. Most times, circular motions are the best way to get streak free finishes. You may either have to apply the polish to a cloth before application or you can apply the polish directly to the floor. Some products are not as strong when in initial contact with oxygen.
- Overlap the circular strokes as this could also provide you with a smoother and more professional clean.
- Work your way from the door, around the room and back to the door. Working in this direction will allow you to leave the room once done without having to walk over the wet polish.
- Waxed floors will need thinner layers as the polish will take longer to dry. This application will have to be done over time as two to three coats will have to be applied.
Wood flooring is one of the most attractive options for the home. Even though it is more expensive than other forms of flooring, such as linoleum and carpet, it does have plenty of benefits that can overcome the extra cost. Here are six of the positive reasons to use wood flooring:
1) Long-lasting – one of the major reasons to install wood flooring is its ability to last. With minimal care and attention, this type of flooring has the potential to last for decades. The lifespan of other flooring can be much less. For instance, carpet may need to be replaced at five-year intervals because of the everyday wear and tear that leads to holes, stains and general shabbiness.
2) Easy to clean – the wood flooring is easy to clean with a regular light vacuum or simple brush. This is certain to benefit in homes with pets because the dirt and mud walked in from outside by cats and dogs is that much easier to clean up.
3) Very hygienic surface – wood is a very safe and hygienic surface that will not harbor dirt and parasites. Also, it is relatively easy to clean spills or unpleasant odors from pets. Alternative flooring surfaces like carpet is well-known to trap dust, fleas and dust mites, which can have a negative impact on allergy sufferers. In addition, tile and stone floors are just as hygienic as wood, but they don’t have the same feel and warmth offered by the wooden surface.
4) Under floor heating – the solid nature of wood flooring makes it a practical option to have under floor heating installed in the home. This type of heating is very efficient and removes the need to have heating units on show throughout the home.
5) Easy to repair – if the wood flooring ever starts to look tired and worn from everyday use, it is possible to renovate with a simple do-it-yourself sanding and sealing project. A high-quality job has the potential to completely return the flooring back to new. Also, this is a lot more cost efficient than having to replace with new, which is likely to be the standard practice with carpets.
6) Timeless appeal – the appeal of wood flooring has lasted for centuries and continues be just as popular now. Other flooring options like tile patterns, linoleum and carpet can have a style that is certain to lose its appeal over a period of time.
Do you own beautiful hardwood floors? O are you perhaps interested in installing new hardwood flooring soon? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, then be sure to learn what you need to know about caring for such a valuable amenity. There are several approaches to cleaning and caring for hardwood, so let’s discuss the most common recommendations when it comes to maintaining long-lasting luster and performance.
Pros and Cons
Hardwood floors are a highly desired feature for any home or property owner. The brilliant shine and endless selection of finishes is enough to attract anyone to installing this type of flooring. It is a more expensive material than standard laminate flooring and look-alikes. And although there is nothing wrong with either of those alternatives, wood flooring has a distinctive appearance that can make any interior decorator drool.
The other downfall to wood floors, other than cost, is the amount of effort it requires to care for them. For anyone in the market for hardwood flooring, don’t be alarmed; there are many ways to keeping your floors looking like new with a few simple rules and tricks.
How to Keep Them Looking Like New
As for homeowners, try to avoid shoes, heavy foot traffic, and animals as much as possible. This is very important for aesthetic purposes. Furthermore, homeowners should use a dry, soft cloth or mop to gently sweep over the surface, every day.
As for a commercial building or business, wood floors will have to be protected in other ways since they experience more foot traffic. For example, protective wax sealants, regular cleaning, and daily sweeping can increase the longevity of luster and shine in its finish.
Be sure furniture has protective rubber stoppers on legs, or a rug underneath. This prevents excessive friction from furniture legs and reduces the likelihood of scratches and scuff marks. Also, use proper cleaning solutions when using soap or sanitizer. Its sensitivity and any wax coating can be jeopardized if a harsh chemical solution or soap is used. Be sure to buy solutions specifically manufactured for hardwood. This ensures you are not stripping any protective sealant or fading custom finishes.
Hardwood Floor Replacement
Wood floors can last for a very long time with good upkeep and maintenance; however, at some point they will need to be replaced. Hardwood floor replacement is an intelligent investment that can both increase your property value and instantly boost your interior appeal. When this time comes, be sure you choose a licensed general contractor who specializes in hardwood flooring. They will have the proper training and resources needed to provide professional guidance, qualified service, and outstanding results.